Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Break

I'm trying to think of something to say, something witty and worthy of a blog post.

The fact is that I'm still recovering.  Instead of saying anything overly brilliant, I thought I'd just let some pictures speak for themselves.

G and I are enjoying spending time together and I even have time to pursue a small hobby.

Around Town
G and I went shopping around town on Saturday.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and we wanted to enjoy the sunshine.  I don't think there was anything we were shopping for, but it was fun to tramp around our little town. We shopped, we had lunch, we had a great time. 

There are tons of cool signs painted in alleyways around town


This is the Ellensburg Bull.  He's famous. 
Selfie!

We were Christmas shopping downtown and an impromptu parade broke out. I missed a picture of Santa driving a wagon. Pretty awesome!

Beet and pear salad at our favorite Ellensburg venue, The Valley Cafe

I just liked this shot.

More neat older signs



Hobby
One of the things I swore I'd do once I finished my doctorate was to pursue my own artistic interests again.  So I am. Now that the quarter is over, turning my brains to something a little creative makes me really happy. It's nice to unplug and lose myself in details. 

This guy is in progress- He'll be a pencil holder in my office

Unpainted birdhouse

base coats

I'm going with Scandinavian designs on this one

I like how the front came out

Almost done

I think I'd like to move on to other projects: painting furniture.  The small projects are nice but I have neat stencils and designs I'd like to make bigger.  There are also a couple of unpainted furniture stores in Yakima that we'll go check out.  I've done some staining and have rehabbed old furniture, but I'd like to take a stab at working with new or newer stuff. So readers, what are your thoughts/suggestions for painted furniture? I really do want to know!

Finally, I think I'm going to grow my hair out a bit. I've loved having it short and G strongly prefers it that way. However, I've almost always been able to put it in a ponytail and I think I'll get it at least that long again. A year is long enough for a cute, short 'do.

I say that now, but in six months I'll be sick of it and will cut it off again...

It's already longer

It snowed for something like four minutes last Friday.  I had to snap a shot. 
Merry Christmas, everyone.  I hope your holiday is peaceful, warm, and filled with people you love.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy seeing photos of Ellensburg - it's fun to see you and G's surroundings. Good that you've had some time to enjoy being crafty. The bird house turned out very nicely, as have others you have done. I think you'll really enjoy refinishing some furniture pieces. That's one of my favorite things to do when I'm feeling in the crafting mood...Have a very merry Christmas and know we'll be thinking of you and wishing you were here with us.

    ReplyDelete