Monday, October 10, 2011

The Next Day

I have stolen five minutes from my Monday morning. I'm trying to get back into my routine. I am trying to care about a curriculum that wishes to wear me like a suit. But my mind is still on last weekend and probably will be for a long, long time.

I passed the defense. It was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. There were some hairy moments before the defense, and we did get started almost half an hour late. There was paperwork I was unaware of.  Maybe I should have been aware. Maybe the department secretary should have told me when I asked her two weeks ago. Doesn't matter because Gail- the lady who runs everything in the department- pushed a couple of things through and it turned out alright.

My cousin Christian came over from Amarillo just to be there for me.  That meant the world to me. And my friends packed the room we were in so that there was no seating left in the classroom and every time I looked up there was a friendly face saying "I believe in you".  Friends from grad school, professors, and Cathy too. She made brownies for everyone and they rocked.  Even our amazing IT guru made an appearance.  And this guy.  This guy from Tulsa that I'm just starting to date. He took the day off of work and drove to Norman just to support me.  In all of those moments of self-doubt and fear there was someone there to tell me to knock it off. Since he and Christian are both over six feet tall, I felt surrounded by pillars of coolness.  And then I was magically transformed by a vote from my committee and perhaps by the power of Greystoke. I'm a doctor.

That was Friday.  When I woke up Saturday, I didn't feel any different. No magical powers. Couldn't teleport. Just got up and made breakfast and had a lovely day. The end. And today I have to go to my very regular job and try to teach something interesting around a mindless curriculum with a curriculum psycho watching my moves. Except that today she has to call me Dr. Dieu.

I wish it was Sunday again.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats again, Dr. Dieu! I never doubted you for a second! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be a complete nerd & not to even attempt to second guess a Doctor, but I have to ask, did you mean, "By the Power of Grayskull" from He-man? Greystoke is Tarzan. Congrats on being a Doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen-You are right, of course. Thanks for the correction!

    ReplyDelete