Friday, September 6, 2013

Insert Job Title Here

Well, I found out today that I didn't get what I wanted.

It's a work thing. My boss has been promising me a permanent, full-time position for over a year.  Right now I'm in limbo. I'm classified as a "research associate" but since June 30th, I've had little to do.  He got really excited about a job on campus and said I'd be perfect for it.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I applied.

I was pretty excited. It's in my area and a wonderful job to have if you want to make a difference in your community and in the university.  Found out today that No, the one dean who makes the decision overrode my dean and his dean.

Awesome. Now we don't know what I'm going to do for employment.  They have an obligation to keep me for another year, but I have no idea what that's going to look like.  He sent an email asking if I'd be ok with driving to Yakima (over a little mountain pass) for the "right opportunity".

I like walking to work. I really, really don't want to go off campus. I just don't know if I have a choice. I can't afford to be a Ph.D. in the unemployment line. Not after moving me and my family up here for this job. It's so frustrating! I want my life to be settled and predictable, not up in the air the way it's been since last freaking May.

So if anyone needs me tonight, I'm licking my wounds in a hot rose-scented bathtub and then sipping chardonnay on the porch with my sweet husband.

I'm sure this will all shake out. I think my boss just has intentions that far exceed his actual authority and I'm disappointed and worried about job security.  For the moment, though, I'm really pissed off.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh,Dear.
    Yes, I'm sure it will all work out - if not I'm sure something even better will be there for you. I REALLY believe that will be the case. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete